32,45 €
+ 64 points
Livraison 1 à 2 semaines
Passer une commande en un clic
Payer en toute sécurité
Livraison en Belgique: 3,99 €
Livraison en magasin gratuite

Description

'My horse took the force of his sabre, but I was able to hack at his hands... Wounded quite badly, he went down only to try again. I was tired of this game, so I threw myself onto him and staved in his head.' Jonathan North presents an astonishing history of Napoleon's early 'bartering of lives for glory' based on the words of the soldiers.

In July 1798 Napoleon invaded Egypt, landing an army in the stifling heat of a North African summer. His invasion came as a shock to the Egyptians but also as a surprise to the soldiers onboard his armada, for they had not been briefed on a mission designed to win glory for their general and, or so it appeared, untold riches for their government. For these soldiers who followed in Napoleon's wake, the campaign which followed promised neither fame nor wealth.

What it did offer was forced marches, endless battles against fearsome warriors and the occupation of a land which mesmerized and repelled them in equal measure. 15,000 Frenchmen died in battle and as many again from disease - including the plague. Somehow Napoleon managed to parley this costly adventure into a triumph and soon he would become emperor. Though the butcher's bill was high, the campaign did shake the Ottoman empire and demonstrate the military superiority of Western European powers.

Jonathan North presents an astonishing history of Napoleon's early 'bartering of lives for glory' based on the words of the soldiers and the many scholars and artists who accompanied them.

Spécifications

Parties prenantes

Auteur(s) :
Editeur:

Contenu

Nombre de pages :
Langue:
Anglais

Caractéristiques

EAN:
Date de parution :
14-11-23