+ 45 points
Format
Livraison 2 à 3 semaines
Passer une commande en un clic
Payer en toute sécurité
Livraison en Belgique: 3,99 €
Livraison en magasin gratuite

Description

Imani Andrews came home to Indianapolis on March 19th from New York the day before COVID 19 shut down everything. It was the first time she had been home since her parents' funeral a few months ago.

When she was rooting through her hope chest, she found an old tin box at the bottom. The contents of the box contained some family history she had no idea about. Among the contents a letter from an attorney, a leather-bound King James Version of the Bible and seven identical journals with black leather covers and brass clasps. The letter and journals would transform her life forever.

While this is a work of historical fiction, it was inspired by true events involving seven courageous women fighting to protect and provide educational opportunities to their Black brothers and sisters during a time of social discord and racial tension. Specific information from the early 1900s is limited, but I believe the depictions accurately portray the time's events and attitudes.

I had no direct experience with any of these seven women, so I needed inspiration for their characteristics or dispositions. So, I modeled the personalities of the seven women after those of my seven sisters. It was important to show the individual strength, perseverance, and courage of each of the women.

This story looks at the events of 100 years ago. There has been a significant change in the lives of African Americans over the past century, but given the events of the last decade, African Americans are reminded that we still have a long way to go. Always at the forefront of our minds: freedom is never free!

Dr. Lang grew up in New Orleans during the 1960's, a time of segregated and less than equal schools. Education was and still is a strong force in her life. She is the author and collaborator of six books; the most recent - Colorizing Restorative Justice: Voicing Our Realities! (Living Justice Press) received the Benjamin Franklin silver award. Additionally, she is the host of the weekly podcast Workplace Diversity, Your Workplace D.I.E.T. T. (Diversity Inclusion Equity Tolerance and Training).

"A superb novel" Dhomonique Ricks Murphy

Spécifications

Parties prenantes

Auteur(s) :
Editeur:

Contenu

Nombre de pages :
Langue:
Anglais

Caractéristiques

EAN:
Date de parution :